Park Place Restaurant, Cupertino
Growing up in San Jose, Brad Kraten remembers when the Santa Clara Valley was better known for orchards than technology. He also distinctly remembers his grandparents arriving from New York loaded with bagels, bialys and deli meats. "That's when I realized I was interested in food, not just eating." When his older brother, a local chef, asked 16 year old Brad to help with Easter Brunch, the younger Kraten got hooked on the fast-paced life of a working restaurant. That experience was heightened at Spago in Palo Alto, where Brad served as executive sous chef, learning from Wolfgang Puck and his culinary team.
- Q: Who is your culinary mentor?
- A: I know it may sound cliché but my Grandma is my culinary mentor. She would come visit from New York every summer and she would cook up a storm. She would bring bagels and cold cuts that you just could get in this area back then. We would go to the local farm stands and buy corn and strawberries.
- Q: What is your favorite ingredient to cook with?
- A: Pork. It's so versatile. Great for fresh and cured preparations.
- Q: Who would you most like to cook for?
- A: Julia Child. She was the original celebrity chef.
- Q: What is your favorite cookbook?
- A: On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee. It's not really not a cookbook it's more of a food science book.
- Q: Name a career highlight?
- A: Cooking at the American food and wine festival in Los Angeles. I got to meet so many of my idols in the culinary world and taste some of their creations
Park Place Cupertino | 10050 S. De Anza Blvd., Cupertino, CA 94015 | Phone: (408) 873-1000 | www.ParkPlaceCupertino.com